No no no…you read it right. The title doesn’t have a typo. This small post of mine is actually on “How to be a Scum Master?”.
You may ask what is that. Well a proper definition can be:
A Scum Master is one who is trying to be the scrum master, without imbibing the agile mindset.
These are the most dangerous kind of people as they not only fail badly, they force the others to think that Scrum/Agile is just a fancy word of no use. I had a pleasure to meet few of such people. Let me tell you what can help in identifying such people:
- The sprint closing are waiting to finish the tasks, because they are waiting to close the tasks that are not completed due to some reason in last sprints.
- Multiple sprints are running at the same time. Again as per above, earlier sprints cant be closed as there are pending items in it.
- The sprint backlog is created before the discussion between the development team and the Product team.
- Priority field in in ticket takes precedence over the stacked backlog approach. So multiple things becomes highest priority tasks.
- No Release planning in the team as team cant think of anything else then finishing up the load of tasks in the team.
- The team works round the clock as the Scrum master has added things in sprints after the discussion with products. Not sure who gave the right to scrum master to alter the sprint backlog.
- Estimation of the task is done with none or negligible clarifications.
There are many such points you might have noticed. Let me know so that I can add them in my post here.
I see a lot of posts on how one can become a very good Scrum Master, you might have felt the topic a bit different, but valid. Check if you are doing any of it. If yes, I suggest to immediately change the pattern and first work in a real agile team (not as scrum master of course). It hits hard, but given that there are only few responsibilities of scrum master, the role is big because the of the dependency of the team on Scrum Master.
If not, be proud to be a successful Scrum Master.